Friday, October 22, 2010

When What You Require Is Not What You Need

I was headsplittingly angry, so much so that hours after the incident, as I'm writing this, a dull throb can still be felt and I can't help running scenarios of revenge over and over and over...

Yeah... Nice segue into the second post of my unattended blog haha :) But I still can't get over it - for the simple fact that I know I'm right.

Alala ko sabi samin ng marketing teacher namin, which became clearly etched in my memory, that products should be customer-centric, not product-centric.

Say you're making a new concept for a ballpen. You can stuff it chock full of unheard features - 10 colors, ultra-grip rubber handle, ink from the most exotic specie of octopus, etc - yet it won't sell. Why? Because people don't buy ballpens for all those. They just need something to write with. Plain, simple, period.

Now I say that because this office thing is quite technical. To put it figuratively, another team needed a ballpen. I gave a pencil, because getting a ballpen will take my people hours to produce, which they would have rendered overtime for. They declined, because SOP states that a ballpen is what they require. I ask what for? They said they needed to write. Will it make any difference if they use the pencil instead? No. Same time put to writing, same everything. But what they require IS. A. BALLPEN.

POTA.

I was talking to a manager for crying out loud. A manager! Who is 35+ years old! They should have hired a High School grad instead. I'm sure mas makakaintindi pa yun dahil napakasimple ng buhay. This manager should have been an MMDA traffic enforcer. She'll stick to the rules with no considerations, go to death with it, than let pass something that would fall outside the f@$* SOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment